Thursday, 30 October 2008

An ode to my friends (Part 1)

Friendships, I believe, take a long time to develop. Sometimes, they just happen.  I consider myself lucky to have found friends whom I shared (and continue to share) the craziest and happiest times of my life. Some of them I have known since childhood. 

First off are my bestest friends Tina and Christian Ann. Tina was the new girl in our high school. One word to describe her: suplada =) That's why we get along. She's the type of person who will tell you what's on her mind. I love her because she was always there for me -- whether we're hounding one of the college boys, bullying other classmates, or just having fun. We've shared tears and laughter. We're part of a big group of seven -- Charmaigne, Lani, Badette, Jocelyn, Jennifer, Tina and I. One thing that we all have in common was that we never joined the religious organization in our school, which made us look like renegades. Outcasts kung minsan. But we enjoyed it a lot! And because Tina and I sat next to each other, I had an easy time with my Math subjects he he. Tina is a genius with numbers, she calculates without holding up her hands nor with the aid of calculators. Ang galing no? Now you know how I passed high school math =)

Now Christian Ann belonged to another group. Honestly, I can't remember how we ended up being friends. Like Tina, Christian is smart, very competitive and our school's running valedictorian. See? I really know how to choose my friends, puro matatalino hahaha =) We belonged to the same elective class, Electronics, since we were freshmen. I guess it was because there were only a handful of girls in the class that's why we didn't have much of a choice but to be friendly with each other. 

By senior year, we found ourselves spending more time together. Hearing each other's dreams, heartaches and bitching about life's troubles. When Tina broke up with a boyfriend, that guy became common enemy. How childish!

Really, they're the sisters that I never had. After high school, we went our separate ways. Tina got a scholarship at Meralco (brainy!!!), Xann went to UPLB and I went to Assumption College. We stayed in touch. It went on until we all finished college, got married and Tina and I had kids. But even when we don't get to talk to each other as often as we wanted to, in my heart they're always there and they will always be my bestest friends. We're even friends with each other's mothers. And with each other's husbands.

I still remember when Tina got married, we were surprised and didn't want her to go through with it. We sat at the back of the room, and wanted to say "stop! we object!" But of course we didn't. I guess we were a bit jealous because we didn't want to share our friend with anybody else. Plus, we didn't know Jojo then. Now, we know he's a good catch ha ha ha. Before I got married, I got a good deal of bashing from these two who thought that I was being stupid for not marrying Ariel early on. When Xann finally got married, we were just so happy that she found her one true love. 

Now, we're all settled and we're still friends. We're continents apart, but they're closely tucked in my heart. 


No comments: